Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Perfect Snack For A Day At The Zoo

I don't often spend a day at the zoo; but, when I do, I prefer Zoo-chini Muffins as a snack. Stay hungry my friends!  O.K., that was pretty cheesy, but when you do a muffin post every Monday, it gets harder to be creative with your 'hooks' !


Nevertheless, I think you'll find these Zucchini Sesame Seed Muffins are worth suffering through my sad introduction. With grated zucchini, and no added sugar, they're a moist, savory, and healthy alternative to the donut and jam muffins covered in streusel.  In fact, I think An chose this muffin for the round-up just so I wouldn't be able to use my signature streusel topping again :)


Not only did I have to skip my streusel, but I had to read the recipe three times because I kept overlooking how much sugar was in it. Oh wait, it has no added sugar. I wasn't sure how I would feel about a muffin with no sugar; that's like an omelet without bacon, mashed potatoes without gravy, or a truck without 4-wheel drive. It's just hard to get my little mind around!

Obviously, being a dyed in the wool breakfast muffin kinda guy, I was gonna have to change my thinking, and get on the savory band wagon. Lucky for me, I was making a big pot of chili at the same time as these muffins. Warm muffins, with a hint of herbs, were a great addition to a hot bowl of meaty chili, and the family loved them!

Be sure to visit Baker Street, and see the other great Muffin Monday entries!



The recipe is from 1Mix, 100 Muffins.

Ingredients:
2 medium zucchini (roughly 300grams)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoon sesame seeds (Plus extra for sprinkling on top)
1/2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
6 tablespoons sunflower oil or melted butter


Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 400F / 200C
Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line it with paper liners
Grate zucchini and squeeze out any excess moisture.
Lightly beat the eggs in another bowl. Beat in the buttermilk and oil.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Stir in the mixed herbs and half the sesame seeds.
Make a well in the centre and add in the liquid ingredients. Stir gently until just combined.
Spoon the batter into prepared muffin pan and scatter the sesame seeds to top.
Bake for about 20 minutes






 Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.

Let the muffins cool in the pan and then serve warm.

23 comments:

  1. Nice job on the muffins! I didn't think I was such a sweet-freak, but I had a harder time adjusting to them. Still, I appreciate the effort in trying to find a different recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should take this as a challenge to come up with a savory muffin topping as enticing as your streusels :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your readers surely think i'm a monster. Lol.

    Surely it paired well with the chilli! I need to get my hands on those muffin cups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have been noticing those muffin cups, you put them straight to the oven? what is it made of? they look pretty :)

    nice baking with you, alan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a very interesting take on muffins,so healthy with no sugar at all!Let us not forget the zucchini packed with potassium and vitamin A.
    Thank you for sharing,I am sure these will go well with a light meal!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh,and I am a happy follower of your blog now.:-) If you wish,feel free to drop by mine,it is on Food and Drink too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heartily agree with La Pandita. . .Whatcha' got, Topping King ?! It's on. . . =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful green color from the zucchini. Must be from grating really fine.Happy Monday. Lovely baking with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay your opening hook was genius! And your muffins look great (although is it wrong that I miss seeing your signature streusel topping?!) Happy Muffin Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Savory muffins are an interesting twist. The color is beautiful! I've got to some of those muffins cups!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These muffins with homemade chili?!? Now THAT is totally bad ass. Haha. I bet my friend would love that. Next time I expect an invite for dinner, please and thanks.

    And well done sticking with the healthy recipe! Think I just saw a pig fly by... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chili on the side?! I want some noooww! Love these, they made my tummy rumble!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look wonderful...the perfect addition to chili! I love sesame seeds, I love that you used them for the topping!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Alan, you crack me up! I did a streusel with corn once, hint hint, LOL! I love how you put them with soup, they look perfect complimented with hearty soup:-) Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  15. These muffins needed something else to eat them with and you got a great idea with chili.

    Hope to see your signature streusel in full force next Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Zoo-chini! LOL :) I think cheese would make these more moreish...maybe parmesan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Agree with Yuri, I was expecting you'd come up with a topping of some kind:) great baking with you again:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the name!! Zoo-chini haha so cute!! I love zucchini muffins, haven't made them with the sesame seeds yet though - must try that soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great healthy muffins! So pretty, too. I'll hop on and join you folks on the next Muffin Monday round!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great muffins! I love zucchini in baked goods; makes them so moist and tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a huge muffin fan, and this looks like it would be a great addition to my recipe book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the concept for these muffins. I also enjoy your conversational writing style and friendly tone. And anything with sesame seeds will win me over. Very nice!

    Alaiyo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmetzjadda its location and good cake recipes

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. :-)